3rd Line Engineer
Date: February 2021
Title: 3nd Line Engineer (Tier 2 Service Desk Engineer)
Location: Central London / Remote
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8am-5pm / 9am-6pm / 10am-7pm
Salary: £35-40k dependant on experience
Netstar is a well-established managed service provider (MSP), providing outstanding service to a growing number of clients throughout Central London. Client retention is high and a significant percentage of new business comes from client referrals. Netstar leverages close partnerships with industry leaders including Microsoft and HP. The company has also invested heavily in specialized operational platforms for MSPs, including ConnectWise and Autotask Endpoint Management.
As well as supporting our clients’ systems on a day-to-day basis, Netstar designs deliver and maintains infrastructure projects including installation and upgrades of systems as well as managing complex office moves.
Our core purpose is: Helping people succeed through technology.
Whether this is clients, our colleagues or the broader community; we believe in what we do and are committed to total client satisfaction and professionalism. We also enjoy our work and socialising with each other is a key part of the Netstar family culture.
General role objectives
- Responsible for handling escalated service requests and be the final escalation point on the service desk.
- Ensuring technical team is improving engineering skills to ensure fast turnaround of client requests.
- Root cause analysis to prevent recurring problems.
- Reducing reactive tickets through proactive management.
- Responsible for problem management tickets
- Driving broader proactive improvements using enterprise-grade tools and approaches.
- Work closely with Team Leads/SDM or other engineers where 3rd line support is required.
- To support other engineers’ technical needs, whilst at the same time ensuring that they are using their knowledge and skills to the maximum before the escalation of cases.
- To identify knowledge gaps within the team and ensure that these are filled through training.
- To prioritise and manage many open cases at one time – multitasking.
- Be approachable and enthusiastic about transferring knowledge and be fully integrated and engaged in the service delivery team’s working day.
- To develop and maintain records, prepare reports, and correspondence for escalated incidents.
- Keeping all assigned escalated ticket up to date and client communicated regularly.
- Making sure time is entered within ticket on the go when doing tickets.(Live time entry)
- Identify the root cause of the major incident and recommend the option to make sure it does not occur again.
- Responsible for creating an incident report/RCA report for TL/SDM review for clients.
- Responsible for increasing proactive score thus achieving the proactive objective.
- Responsible for problem management tickets and working with other 3rd line engineers to get permanent resolution. Documenting this for Knowledgebase.
- Ensure that Senior Netstar management is aware of any significant issues which require their attention.
- Identify any other requirements or make recommendations which would make the operation of the help desk more efficient for Netstar and clients.
- You will be required to be on call (work out of hours) on a rotation basis.
- The job holder will require knowledge at least five years of experience in areas including:
- Microsoft Azure VMs, VPNs, hybrid environments (including sync of directories)
- Microsoft Windows platforms in particular Windows 7-10
- Microsoft Server platforms – 2008-2016 (including core)
- Microsoft Office Versions and Exchange 2007-2016 / Office365
- Virtualization – Hyper-V / VMware
- Network infrastructure – routers, firewalls (SonicWALL), VLAN, WLAN (Meraki), QOS, routing
- Server monitoring, maintenance and remediation (in-depth Microsoft troubleshooting)
- Security platforms: antivirus (Webroot), OpenDNS, Qualys (vulnerability management), Sophos encryption/end point management
- Cloud email security systems : anti-spam, email archiving (Reflexion / Mimecast)
- Cloud file sync and share platforms : Dropbox, Box, AWP
- Phone systems (on premise / hosted) : VoIP troubleshooting and configuration management
- In-depth knowledge of ConnectWise, Autotask Endpoint and other tools / platforms used by the business, recommended but not essential
The job holder must display the following:
- Minimum 3 years experience as a 3nd Line engineer in a service desk environment.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Extensive and up-to-date troubleshooting experience in a 2nd/ 3rd line technical capacity.
- Ability to visualize a problem or situation and think abstractly to solve it.
- Provide outstanding technical leadership and take total ‘ownership’ of issues to completion.
- Ability to maintain healthy relationships with clients and perform problem/issue resolution.
- Ability to manage time when delivering assigned tasks.
- Have good interpersonal skills and able to work well with others.
- Ability to handle constantly changing work pressures.
- Be able to multitask effectively during busy times with effective prioritisation.
- Ability to work responsibly without direct supervision.
- Be enthusiastic and willing to work outside of normal hours when required.
The success of the job holder will be assessed against the following:
- Client service, perception, and satisfaction
- Fast turnaround of client issues (time to resolution)
- Performance KPI (Time spent on tickets, age of tickets, escalated ticket closures etc)
- Proactive KPI score
- Adhering to SLAs
- Continuous professional development : technical knowledge (certifications)
Every three months we will review to ensure optimal performance and enjoyment of the role.