The definition of IT Outsourcing
IT outsourcing refers to when businesses use external service providers to deliver IT-related processes, services, projects and infrastructure. Fully managed IT support companies take full responsibility for all IT-related maintenance, support and consultancy. When organisations choose to outsource their IT to a fully managed service provider, they will often enjoy 24/7 IT support as well as expert strategic advice that aligns technology with business goals. On the other hand, some companies may choose to only outsource certain areas of IT or use external providers for additional support alongside internal teams. Relationships like this are often referred to as Co-managed IT support and are more common in large enterprises.
Which IT services are usually outsourced?
Here are some examples of IT services that are often outsourced:
- A 24/7 IT support service desk
- IT consultancy
- Cloud computing
- Email security
- Backup and disaster recovery
- Cyber security solutions
- Managed antivirus services
- Office relocation support
- Managed firewall services
- Telecommunications support, including VoIP
Examples of successful IT Outsourcing
Think about the areas where you need help the most in your business and consider whether technical expertise could alleviate stress or drive success. Many businesses experience frustration, productivity loss and inefficiency because of ineffective IT solutions. Here are some real-life examples of how effective IT Outsourcing has improved overall business operations…
1. thenetworkone, London
thenetworkone is the world’s largest network for independent advertising and creative agencies. Before partnering with Netstar, they were struggling with stressful day-to-day IT issues, as well as planning and budgeting for the future. Now that they’re outsourcing their IT to Netstar, Director, Paul Squirrel has found that he no longer needs to worry about IT-related problems. Instead, he can focus on the important stuff; running and building his business. He noted:
“The primary difference now we work with Netstar is that I actually get to sleep at night, and I don’t have to worry that the server is going to crash and I’m going to get a phone call. It’s sorted for me and this is what I want.”
Watch this video to find out more about how outsourcing their IT helped thenetworkone to solve problems in their business.
2. Collaborate London Ltd, London
Collaborate London is an independent furniture company, supplying office furniture to clients across the UK. Prior to partnering with Netstar, they were outsourcing their IT to an unreliable provider who wasn’t adding any value to their business. But, now that they do work with Netstar, they are finally reaping the benefits of a successful IT Outsourcing partnership. Managing Director, Richard Martin, emphasized:
“What was different about Netstar is they listened to our requirements that we’d identified. They also asked some great questions which identified areas of weakness in the system that we currently had and have come up with some fantastic solutions.”
Watch this video to learn more about how effective IT Outsourcing benefited Collaborate London.
Outsourced vs in-house IT solutions
Getting the most out of your technology has never been easier, you just need the right expertise at your disposal.
The alternative to IT Outsourcing is to hire an in-house IT Manager and/or Technicians. If they have the right knowledge and experience, this will likely alleviate IT problems and boost productivity. However, hiring in-house can be extremely time consuming and costly in comparison to outsourced IT. As IT is such a complex and specialist area, training your staff on the latest trends could cost you a great deal of time and money. With an in-house team, you are responsible for keeping their knowledge up to date and they might not always have the right answers.
Alternatively, if you choose to outsource your IT with a reliable IT provider, all issues will be dealt with by a team of experienced professionals. These specialists will be consistently trained and up to date with the latest industry developments. Here at Netstar, we take the time to get to know your business and its specific needs, so you can expect fully tailored IT support. Ultimately, if you choose Netstar as your IT provider, we will work alongside you towards your business goals, as if we’re part of your team.
Why should I consider IT Outsourcing?
Here are some of the benefits of effective IT Outsourcing:
- Gain the support of an experienced, proactive team – your IT partner’s up to date industry knowledge will be invaluable when it comes to solving business issues, streamlining processes, maximising security and growing your business
- Control your costs – outsourcing your IT will enable you to establish a clear technology roadmap, outlining budgets, projections and costs over the coming years, ensuring you have no nasty surprises
- Focus on your core business – less worrying about ongoing IT issues, means more time spent focusing on business strategy and growth
- Reduce risk – outsourcing your IT will open the door to a multitude of cyber security expertise, meaning that you’ll gain the best insight into how to protect your business from security threats
- Leverage expertise – access to technological expertise will assist you with the planning and strategy of your overall business goals; helping your business to get ahead of the competition
- Boost productivity – reliable 24/7 IT support from IT experts will reduce downtime and ensure your team can work more efficiently
Choosing a supplier
In such a competitive market, finding your ideal IT support company can sometimes be a confusing process. Asking contacts or friends and family for their recommendations is a good place to start. But remember that every business is different so take your time to research thoroughly.
Here’s a list of things to consider when choosing an IT partner:
- Not ‘one size fits all’ – you need a supplier who will listen to the needs of your business and adapt accordingly
- Reliable – you need an IT support provider who lives up to their promised response times and gives effective solutions to each problem
- Industry knowledge – having an IT partner who is experienced in your industry will give you an advantage
- Proactive – make sure they listen to your business goals and can proactively suggest technology that aligns with them
- Positive response to COVID-19 – look for evidence that your IT partner delivered effective, empathetic and supportive service during the COVID-19 crisis
- Jargon free – ensure they speak the language of a non-IT person so that you can understand their suggestions
To ensure that your next IT partner adheres to these requirements, start by looking for evidence of exceptional service. Most IT support providers will claim to deliver great customer service, but do they have the evidence to back up these claims? Look for case studies, client testimonials, and awards that will verify that their level of service is as amazing as they say it is. If a client has taken the time to record a video or write a testimonial, it’s likely that they are genuinely extremely happy with the service they receive. Case studies, like these, or awards, like these, are great examples of evidence of exceptional customer experience.
If you’re interested in learning more about how IT Outsourcing can alleviate problems and add value to your business, please get in touch today.