Ransomware attacks have doubled in 2019. We’ve got you covered
Ransomware attacks have doubled in 2019.
A recent Threat Report released by McAfee Labs, showed that there was an 118% rise in ransomware attacks in Q1 of 2019.
This increase comes after a reported decline in malware over the last two years, as cyber-criminals appeared to favour other methods of data theft.
Based on recent findings, however, it now seems to be making a comeback. One that businesses shouldn’t ignore.
Hackers have been taking advantage of the fact that most SMBs are ‘soft targets’, as they won’t always take the precautions to protect themselves, or don’t have the resources to do it themselves.
In a post GDPR world most businesses know about the reputational and financial risks of data theft. Companies need to invest in protecting themselves, rather than suffer huge financial losses.
The three main types of ransomware used by the cyber criminals are known as Dharma, Ryuk and GandCrab. Even as the most popular strains are prevented though, new ones will spring up in their place. It is an ever-present risk, which organisations need to be aware of.
What can you do about ransomware attacks?
There are a few things that businesses should do to protect themselves. These include adopting IT Security best practices such as:
- Ensuring operating systems and apps are up to date and have been patched.
- Making sure you back up your data regularly so that in the event of a ransomware attack there is a copy in a secure place that you can use to restore systems.
- Using two-factor authentication to secure access to apps.
- Enrolling your team in Security Awareness Training so they are less likely to fall for a cyber breach.
- Making sure you have a good antivirus solution in place. Antivirus systems scan all of your web traffic for malicious content and malware. Carrying out regular scans to keep your system protected and virus free.
- Ensure you have an email security system that will effectively block spam and viruses.
The cost of recovering from a cyber attack can be colossal, sometimes the damage is irreparable. So, investing in cyber security services to protect your company is a wise choice – and certainly more affordable than the cost of recovering from a cyber attack.
If you want to find out more about how you can protect your business from ransomware get in touch today.