How To Easily Recover Files Using Shadow Copy
What is Shadow Copy?
Shadow Copy allows you to recover a previous version of a file or folder. This can be useful if you have made changes to a document and would like to refer to a previous version without losing the current one.
Please note that in order to be able to retrieve documents in this way you need to enable it in your control panel settings. Read here to see how to make sure your settings are correct.
This guide only applies to local PC, not server recovery. If this needs to be done on the server you should speak to your IT team or IT Support Provider.
Follow our simple steps below to learn how you can easily recover files using Shadow Copy:
- Find the file or folder that you need a previous version of
2. Right click on the file or folder and click Properties
3. From here you can go to the Previous Versions tab
4. You will then see a list of files or folders with the date modified
5. You can open, copy or restore the previous version by selecting the dated file/folder and clicking Open, Copy or Restore at the bottom of the box. It is good practice to open the file first, to ensure it is what you need. If you click restore immediately you will lose the current file.
6. Once you have opened the file/folder and you would like to retrieve a copy, go back to the properties box, select the file/folder and press Copy
7. This will then bring up an option where you can select where the copy will be saved
8. Once you have done this, you will be able to find the restored file in its new location