Tips to Effectively On Board New Employees
Every business is striving to grow, but with growth comes new challenges like hiring new staff. If you have a growing business model, then you likely achieved this by adopting smooth procedures. The same principle applies to growing your staff; and with solid on boarding procedures in place, you can get more performance out of your staff.
On day one, an employee’s motivation to work is at an all-time high. If you put forth the energy to have everything ready for a new employee to start working, then that high motivation level will be sustained, and they will have the fortitude to power through even the lamest of training videos. Besides motivation, a smooth on boarding procedure will save you money. The average cost for replacing one $8.00 per hour employee is $9,444.47; overlooking details in the hiring process can become a deal breaker, and then you are right back to square one with less money in the payroll.
Technology is a big part of the on boarding process, adding a new user to the company network where sensitive data is stored takes time and trust – here’s to hoping your HR department accurately screened applicants! After you create a user profile for your new hire, you now have to ready a workstation; this means applying updates, removing old documents, and adding needed software. It is also a best practice to have all of an employee’s account information organized in one document. On this same document you can also include computer usage policies and procedures.
The more prepared you are for a new hire; the smoother your business will run. Here are some additional tips you should incorporate into your new employee on boarding process.
- Install and test their voicemail and phone extension.
- Give them access to the files they need, and block the files they do not need.
- Make a document explaining your network file structure.
- Make new accounts to access training resources.
- Apply internet filters, email rules, and create a digital signature.
- Connect everything to the domain and add the new hire to the network.
- Update all software licenses.
- Clean off deskspace and install a workstation.
- Dust off computer hardware and update software for maximum PC performance.
Despite your best efforts, sometimes new employees just do not work out. For these regrettable times, you also need an off boarding process to block access to your company’s network. Netstar is here to assist you with all of your on boarding and off boarding IT needs. Give us a call at 020 7101 0544, and we will work with your HR department to develop secure procedures that will best fit the needs of your business.